Saturday, March 1, 2008

Soup in a Box


I found a delicious organic creamy tomato soup this week that came packaged in a box. They're so convenient and I like the idea that my soup doesn't sit on a shelf in an alumnimum can for ages. I'm sure that's much worse than a plasticized box, but oh well.

I figured I could recycle the soup box, but called Imagine's customer service anyway where I was connected with George, a very helpful fellow. George confimed that 'yes, the boxes can be recycled' and gave me the manufacturer Tetra Pak's website. Here's what I found:

"Tetra Pak was founded on a remarkably simple idea: that a package should save more than it costs. This is still valid. We make food available to the world in lightweight packages that are safe, hygienic and made by clean industrial processes. This means we are constantly reducing the environmental impact of our operations, products and packages. For example, our aseptic cartons are 20 per cent lighter today than they were 20 years ago. Our packages meet the requirements of all four waste management options: source reduction, recycling, energy-from-waste-incineration, and landfills."

I now feel great about indulging in more box soup.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.