It started on vacation when I saw the headline in the NY Times: For ‘EcoMoms,’ Saving Earth Begins at Home. I got intrigued, but between catching up on email, real mail, laundry and de-sanding the suitcases, I haven't picked it up again until now. I'm glad I did! I just signed up for the EcoMom Challenge. It's the brainchild of excellent mom, Kimberly Danek Pinkson, who started the EcoMom Alliance to "leverage the power of mothers to help reduce global warming; To inspire and empower mothers to take First Steps For A Sustainable Future by Sustaining their Homes, Sustaining their Planet and Sustaining Themselves."
Here are the first 10 Steps to getting eco, mommy style:
1. Change a light. If every household in America changed out just 5 light bulbs to energy efficient CFL's it would be equivalent to taking 8 million cars off the road.
2. Drive More Efficiently: Car pool, don't idle during drop off and pick up, drive a hybrid and drive less.
3. Shop local, fair trade and organic.
4. Use non toxic products for cleaning, bathing, even make-up and you'll protect the environment as well as reduce you and your family's risk of disease.
5. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
6. Turn off and unplug electronic devices and you'll reduce your exposure to electromagnetic radiation, and save on energy and CO2 emissions.
7. Re-think your laundry plan!
8. Plant a Tree.
9. Buy carbon offsets. Click to learn how
10. Play more.
Stay tuned and enjoy!